Pears in jars...off the tree and sans partridge...

In anticipation of our Thanksgiving travels to Lita's (grandmother) house, I jarred some Southern Oregon Pears <3

Lita loves fresh fruit and well, the "pears in jars" are my brilliant solution to our inevitable encounter with the Fruit Cops at the boarder. Ah, the Fruit Cops and I have a complicated, long standing relationship based on a sticky web of deceit, camouflage and undue stress in which our meetings often culminate in a gorging of fresh fruit, by either myself or whichever unlucky soul happens to be in the car with me. 

To make these sweeties, I used a very simple light sugar syrup, a bit of lemon juice and fresh peeled/cored pears.  I blanched the sliced pears in the syrup for about 5 min before jarring - it helps to keep the fruit from floating in the syrup and makes the jarring process a bit easier - at least i think so :)  After I filled the jars I inverted them to make the seal (normally I would give them a 15 min water bath, but I knew these pears weren't going to be stored very long.)

I'm happy to report that the pears made it to California, without incident,  and were much appreciated :)

Comments

Popular Posts