Welt pockets and cocktails DO NOT mix...

That pretty much sums up the evening - "crap, I can't believe I just did that."  But,  to jump ahead of the story, I think things worked out okay...but man! That journey was PAINFUL!! ;-)
Secret Squirrel had a bit too much fun tonight in Southern Oregon, and I have rightly paid the price of steering this innocent little cutie off the path of righteousness.  
After a ton of procrastinating (mostly because I was so terrified of attempting my "brilliant" idea of curved double welt pockets for my Secret Squirrel project) I decided to bite the bullet and just do it!  Well, SS and I had just finished tying off my darts and cutting out the welt pocket pieces when my sweet HQ announced that there was some celebrating to do - he had just received some nice scores for 3 of his wines in The Wine Spectator.  Yippee!  I gave SS a nut and went to enjoy cocktails...

This is where I SHOULD confess that SS and I put our threads away and tucked in for the night, but nooooo.  That celebratory cocktail and subsequent glass of 90 Pt. wine gave me the false confidence that I needed to tackle those curved, double welt pockets!!!

yup.  crap.

So here' s the guilty cocktail concoction...a homemade vodka infusion that I made this last summer with left over raspberries and, well, that was pretty much it, besides the ice and sugar rim :-/
And it all started out so well...Full of false confidence, I drafted my curved, double welt pocket on some quilting paper and layered my facing and pocket lining in place.  I took proper measurements, even checking it twice, pinned it in place and sewed my little heart away - I was SO happy...
...that was until I cut my curved, double welt pocket open and discovered that not only did I NOT leave enough fabric to make the welts but that I also cut through my ironing board cover!!




I seriously hope someone is laughing, because I could not believe I was silly enough to do this.  Again, I SHOULD have hung up my scissors and revisited SS in the morning with a nice cup of coffee, but nope....I stubbornly decided to continue, and rather than just cut out another front and curved, double welt set, I declared, "I can fix this!"  and out came the seam ripper...





I grabbed a glass(es) of water (not wine) and settled in to painstakingly take out the stitches.  I  pressed out my "oops"  as best I could.  I then drafted another curved, double welt pocket, pinned and sewed, following the cut opening and previously pressed lines.  This go around,  I took my time and added a significant amount of extra fabric to create the welts. 



I have to say, it came out quite a bit better, and I even managed to get the curve that I wanted...

...even though the lining is way too long....
Well, one can only fix so much at a time whilst enjoying wine....
The Winemaker and I taking a selfie

However, I do promise, cross my heart, to only offer SS chai and cookies for all further meetings.


Comments

Popular Posts